- Scientific Congress Fund
Brussels Fund for Scientific Congresses
1. What is the Brussels Fund for Scientific Congresses?
The Brussels Fund for Scientific Congresses has been created by the Brussels-Capital Region and the City of Brussels. It is managed by VisitBrussels in partnership with Innoviris, the regional institute for research and innovation.
The objective is to promote scientific research in Brussels, develop the capital's reputation as a scientific centre and increase the number of international congresses in the city.
Two types of financial aid
Pre-financing, aimed at all congresses; and subsidies for congresses of less than 200 persons.
Before receiving any registration fees and income from sponsors, organizers are faced with up-front expenditures which they may struggle to meet. For this reason, VisitBrussels can provide pre-finance for:
· deposits for hotels and congress centre
· congress logo design
· construction of a website
· costs of international mailing, telephone and fax
· production of a brochure
· flight reservations for speakers
The maximum amount available per congress is € 50,000 and may not exceed 30% of the congress budget. The level of pre-financing is determined by both the size of the congress and the cash flow analysis. The borrowed amount must be repaid in full before the start of the congress.
2. Subsidies for congresses of less than 200 persons
If participation is limited to less than 200 persons and a subsidy is needed to achieve a break-even point, the support fund can come into play. The following areas of the budget may be covered:
- costs related to the attendance of international speakers (flights, hotels, daily allowances);
- costs of promoting the congress internationally.
VisitBrussels may contribute up to a maximum of € 100 per international participant, with a maximum of € 10,000 per congress.
Who is eligible for funding?
All scientific professionals wishing to organize an international congress in Brussels or who wish to support the candidature of Brussels for the congress of their association, are eligible. Certain conditions apply:
· a non-profit organization must be set up to manage the organization of the congress and accept the financial risks;
· the event must bring together at least 50 participants of at least three different nationalities;
· the congress must be held in the Brussels-Capital Region;
· the event must last for at least two days (minimum one overnight stay);
· Those applying for pre-financing must work with a Professional Conference Organizer (PCO, meeting planner).
How do we select candidate congresses?
Funding will be considered based on the following criteria:
· the interest of the congress topic within the particular scientific field;
· the scientific validity of the congress programme;
· the composition of the international panel of experts;
· a realistic business plan;
· the international dimension of the congress;
· possible recurrence of the event.
The evaluation will be carried out by a selection committee composed of:
· Brussels Invest & Export
· Financial Institution
*VISITBRUSSELS reserves the right to reject an application for reasons related to the financial condition of the fund.
How to apply for funding
Please notice that :
· For pre-financing, applications must be made at least 12 months before the event.
· For subsidy funding, you should apply at least 6 months in advance.
Please fill in this form. All the necessary documents will be sent by e-mail